Outdoor Play – why it is crucial in an early years’ setting
The EYFS states that children need to have a daily outdoor experience, which means that a setting such as a nursery, preschool or school reception class needs to ensure that children are outside for a duration each day.
Outside natural play can take many forms, whether that is a nature walk, visiting a park or activities in a natural outdoor playground or play space.
- Supports children’s development – children can explore and engage with the natural environment around them, they will see direst hand changes such as weather changes, wildlife changes, nature, and seasonal changes. The outside environment will allow them to discover new smells, sights, and nature, including trees, plants, inspects and bugs
- Fit and Healthy – being outside and active have a positive effect and impact. It keeps children fit, healthy and active
- Greater/different opportunities– being outdoors allows for opportunities to do things differently, and often on a larger scale.
- Supporting managed risk – children will have more confidence to move in different ways, and build upon these skills. By doing so, supports children with teaching them how to safely take managed risk. They will have the opportunity to swing, climb, run, spin and jump!
- Increased confidence – allowing children to take small and managed risk helps to build their confidence but learning not to put themselves in unnecessary danger. For example, a setting with a Forest School approach will regularly visit open spaces. Children accessing forest school activities are found to be calmer, more sociable and confident
- Freedom to make their own choices – being outdoors provides children with the freedom to make their own choices about being active and further develop their physical skills. Children will be able to choose their own activity, whether that it to run, skip, catch, role play or climb
- Recall and communication improvement – discussion with children about their experience in the outdoor environment helps with recall and communication skill.
At Timotay we are proud to have promoted this for 30 years and how spending time in nature and getting children outdoors daily and engaging in natural play. We have a number of solutions that range from playground equipment, that you can purchase online, to fully managed playground design and construction service, example can be found here.
All of our playground equipment has a play value and learning outcome and is handcrafted by our skilled woods craftsmen using approved sustainable timber. We will only use the finest quality timber for longevity and safety of your equipment by managing the entire process
Timotay believes that…
- It’s empowering, stimulating and essential for both teachers and students to teach and learn in an outdoor classroom.
- We need to be playful again. Reconnect with nature, spend time outside, climb trees, laugh and embrace and encourage the inner child within all of us.
- Children need to learn how to become stewards of our environment and do so while connecting with their community, their elders, and their peers.
- It’s all about planting those early “seeds of inspiration.”
If you are looking to transform your outdoor space or looking to turn a vision into reality – we can help.
Timotay specialises in:
- Natural playgrounds
- Wooden playgrounds
- Forest schools
- School playgrounds
- Nursery playground
- Sensory playgrounds
- SEND playgrounds
- Playground equipment
- MUGA pitches
- Mile a day tracks
- Playground safety surfacing
We offer a FREE consultation, click here to book an appointment with our award-winning team!
If you are looking for funding for your playground or outdoor space click here